Re: the keyboard accessibility capplet

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 01:01, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I guess what I'm saying is, maybe Sun and users coming from old Sun
> machines care about this, but as far as most GNOME users are concerned
> it's unnecessary dialog clutter that makes them stop and go "what's an
> AccessX?" and "what's a CDE?"

I promise I won't say this again, but AccessX is *not* a Sun thing and
it's *not* a CDE thing.  :)

> Probably because there wasn't room to spell "milliseconds" due to the
> sliders and pointless icons.

Heh... we weren't keen on the icons either, we thought they took up too
much room in an already-complex dialog.  Jody persuaded us to keep them
in for now though since they're not any more pointless than the icons in
the other capplets :)

> When? If there wasn't in 2.0, and I haven't seen a suggestion for 2.2,
> then we have things looking broken for a year and a half while we wait
> for some future accessibility control panel.

At the very least we need a "turn on accessibility" capplet for Sun's
FCS.  Presumably this can't go in 2-0 now as it would break the UI
freeze, but given how trivial it is it would be nice to get it
considered for 2.2, especially if the ATs are also being considered for
a 2.2 release.

> As I said, I hate to keep bringing it up, but for whatever reason it's
> still broken... to me if I put all the other control panels next to
> this one, the accessibility capplet sticks out as very different.

I don't think anyone would argue with that.  Although I do think a lot
of it is just cosmetic; it's ridiculously cramped in there.  Anna
started working on a better layout at one point recently, but I wouldn't
blame her if she was scared off by the thought of provoking another
debate like this :)

Cheeri,
Calum.