Re: Recently used applications

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 10:17, Nils Pedersen wrote:
> > And you create a new document quickly with your most commonly used
> > applications how (seeing as the usability team has also decided that an
> > easy-to-use favorites menu is also out of bounds?)
> > Luis <shaking head>
>

> Well if you buy the OO approach, there would be a mechanism to create
> a new <foo> document (or any other object) independant of having to
> launch (from a user model perspective) the application.

Given that we have no such mechanism[1]... is there some good reason we
should not use a mechanism

*that already exists
*is familiar to basically all users on both windows and macintosh, as
well as intuitively obvious to all current GNOME users?

Luis

[1]I'm not saying it's a bad thing[2], just that we don't have one.

[2]Though I am curious as to how a OO model deals with, say, 'surf the
web.' Are pre-existing webpages that aren't modifiable by the remote
user somehow shoehorned into the document-centric paradigm or is there
an out for that? And if so, how does one Just Launch A Browser? Do I
have to 'create a new google object' or what?