Re: Servers feature

On 25 Oct 2002, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Date: 25 Oct 2002 23:05:55 -0400
> From: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> To: GNOME Desktop Hackers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Servers feature
>
> Hmm, here, I'd think having it a separate icon is much better.  "Start
> Here" is a rather bug UI kludge, imho.  (So is "My Computer", but ah
> well).  So long as the network icon can be removed from the desktop
> (unlike the kludge in Windows) it shouldn't be too bad for people who
> want to avoid clutter.

Read an article the other day reminding me how silly it is to have links
on a web page called "click here", start here is similarly odd, makes
sense to say what is you are starting.

Aside from finding the 'My' Everything prefix reallly annoying the 'My
computer' metaphor results in some very very user confusion I never would
have imagined:  "Oh it is not taking up any space on my computer, it is
all on my desktop" yes, seriously.
It is always easy when you know how.

The metaphor could certainly be refined to avoid this kind of confusion,
perhaps make it clearer that everything was contained within the Computer
and that the workspace/desktop was not in fact on top.

/end slightly offtopic rambling ...

Later
Alan