Re: nautilus limits ?

Hi Gaute,

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 22:24, Gaute Lindkvist wrote:
> There is still the problem of the default. It is currently not large
> enough to handle most /dev -directories or a typical Red Hat /usr/bin.
> This is also sort of a "please unbreak me"-option. But if it isn't
> possible to totally do away with currently, at least the default should be
> big enough to handle any typical standard directories.

	Well - it comes down to nautilus being easily able to consume your
entire memory; I think when I added the field we bumped it anyway from
it's original. I suppose it would be better to have no limit there, and
have a 'maximum icon cache size' or something - such that we can try and
stop Nautilus from getting in the way of the OOM killer on huge
directories.

	Have a poke at the icon factory code to see how hard it would be to
keep a running total of the pixels we're storing internally, and have
some sane fallback to cap it [ prolly only really applicable to
thumbnails I suppose ].

	Regards,

		Michael.