Re: Servers feature

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 17:44, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> > Hi Bastien,
> >
> > On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 17:53, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > I posted URLs:
> > > http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-os/patches/connect-to-server/gnome-vfs.patch
> > > http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-os/patches/connect-to-server/network.vfolder-info.in
> >
> > 	The best person to talk to is prolly Alex who is working on such stuff,
> > and (re)wrote the vfolder bits I guess ... Alex ?
> >

> A "network neighborhood" type feature is pretty important, we should
> try to get this in if it's reasonably close to right, we can tweak the
> UI over time.

The current UI is real simple. You get a network: URI with nothing apart
from "Add a server" and (if you have gnome-vfs-extras installed) a link
to smb's network neighbourhood.

It serves as a bookmark keeper for your servers. Activate "Add a
server", there you enter a URI, and choose either "OK" (creates a
bookmark/link) or "Connect" (same as OK and connects to the URI in
question).

You can add links to /usr/share/gnome/network, for vendors, or for other
gnome-vfs methods that have a network neighbourhood style (AppleTalk ?).

The network: URI's entry point is the applications menu, with the
"Network Servers" entry (that goes along the "Home folder" one).

Alex, how the stuff you're working on would fit in here ?

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when
there is no longer anything to take away.
						Antoine de Saint-Exupery