Re: problem with building pango-1.0.4 and pangoxft2

To preface - this is not intended s flaming and I will file a bug hen we
work out what needs reporting

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 02:44, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:25:15PM +0100, mike wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > that what I said ie: Xft1
>
> As the following two quoted paragraphs explain, it _is_ picking up the
> freetype2 packages and you have a syntax errors in your header. The
> problem is with your freetype-devel installation.

No - XftFreetype has nothing to do with freetype - it is a Xft1 file -
so pango-1.0.+ should have a option for Xft version and if Xft2 is
installed should not look for this file.

(pango-1.1* does not look for this - but pango-1.0.* is used for 2.0.2
so relevant)

> [...]
> >
> > OK - this was one problem it was using pkg-config in /usr/bin - but
> > surely pkconfig should not pick up .pc files not in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> Quoting from the pkg-config manual page:
>
> 	"By default, pkg-config looks in the directory
> 	prefix/lib/pkgconfig for these files; it will also look in the
> 	colon-separated list of directories specified by the
> 	PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable."
>
> So pkg-config is behaving correctly.

no it is not

my prefix for the build is /opt/gnome
path also starts with /opt/gnome
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also /opt/gnome

so IMHO pkg-config should
either not look in any other prefix or throw an error

Also  - to put it mildly
> "By default, pkg-config looks in the directory
> 	prefix/lib/pkgconfig for these files

is a little ambiguous

is this the obvious ie: the prefix you are defining

or

the prefix that pkgconfig was originally installed in

BTW - this is probably not that common as I am installing an old version
of G2 - which explains why no other shouts

As I said at the start of my message - I am not flaming, but this does
seem to be an issue