Re: folder vs. directory

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 11:57, Chipzz wrote:
> On 6 Oct 2002, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > From: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> > Subject: Re: folder vs. directory
> >
> > Well, I actually now am in the habit of calling them 'folders' even in
> > console speak - it takes effort to do otherwise. ~,^
>
> This is of course you speaking for yourself ;)

Yes.  ~,^

> > Also, directory has so many other meanings - especially as it's used in
> > ldap (lightweight *directory* access protocol) and MS' Active Directory;
>
> Which (AD) is a terrible name - totally non-descriptive. Why do we need
> to change _our_ habbits just because MS calls something a directory any-
> way?

Those are just two examples.  You also have free Directory services
(based on ldap usually), NDS (Novell), etc.

> > indeed, using 'folder' is less confusing than 'directory' (directory of
> > files, directory of names, directory of bookmarks, etc. - to which do
> > you refer?).
> >
> > And then, of course, the usual icon for a 'directory' is a file-folder;
> > presenting that image, then using a different name, is confusing.  Just
> > calling them folders while presenting them as folders is simpler and
> > less confusing.
> >
> > So, if it helps any, just call them folders even in console land.  ~,^
>
> It's just that you can't. Traditional UNIX terminology is directory:

Just can't, eh?  Console tools might stop working if they hear us utter
'folder'.  Sneaky bastards. ;-)

> c_d_
> pw_d_
> ls -l_d_ .
> ... _d_rwxr-xr-x ...
> mk_dir_
> rm_dir_
>
> Try 'apropos directory' for many more.
>
> UNIX history says we don't. So we don't.

And desktop terminology says we don't call them directories.  So we
don't.  I'd hate for gnome to use the 'geek' term directories, while
every other desktop uses the now standard (if only from force of habit)
'folders'.