Re: X won't start with GDK_USE_XFT=1, will with =0...?

A couple of things off the top of my head.

 - look in /var/log/XFree86.0.log for the full error messages
 - maybe try re-creating your fonts.dir fonts.scale files by
    cd /tt/font/path
	ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale && mkfontdir

I think the log file is your best bet to find what the main problem is
:)

alan