setting GDK_USE_XFT=1 loses truetype fonts :(

I've been fighting with fonts in gnome for ages, and I think I finally
have it figured out.  Now I just have to figure out *why*.

The short of it is that as soon as I set GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my .xinitrc a
bunch of my truetype fonts dissapear.  Unset, they are all there, and
available in (for example) the preferences->font dialogue.

I have my truetype font directory set in /etc/X11/XF86Config, as well as
in my XftConfig... I've tried the XtfConfig stock, with some tweaks, as
well as with nothing but the 'dir "..."' lines.

It's not that the fonts are displaying differently, but they are not in
the dialogue.  If I go in with GDK_USE_XFT unset and set my desktop font
to say, "SF Grunge Sans" or "Treefrog" it displays (un-anti-aliased)
fine.  I logout, set GDK_USE_XFT=1, log back in, and my desktop is
displaying in Sans, or Comic or something.  When I go into the
preferences->font->desktop font dialogue box a lot of fonts are there,
but not those two fonts.  I haven't gone and made a list of what shows
up and what doesn't, because some of the non-standard truetype fonts I
have do show up, but many don't :(

Does anyone have any idea about this?  Any idea on why this would
happen?  I know I could just not use the GDK_USE_XFT, but at this point
it's the principle of the thing :)

TIA

Alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I