Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > > Personally, I myself am surprised that there hadn't been a solaris box for
> > > testing for gnome developers in the past, and if there isn't, but the
> > > companies involved feel that all of gnome 2.2 should work on solaris, then
> > > there is 1 and only 1 logical conclusion : said companies must provide the
> > > hardware as a service to the hackers so the hackers can provide the
> > > service to make the code portable.
> > >

> > There will definately be pieces of gnome 2.2 that will not work on Solaris
> > - i think the battery applet is one example, and libgtop (and things
> > dependning on it) might be another exmaple. I don't think anybody is
> > losing much sleep over it.
>
> Can I take that as a "whether or not solaris can run GStreamer is not an
> issue at all on the decision of putting Gstreamer into Gnome 2.2" then ?

This is not what I said or what I can say - I am in no way part of that
decision-making process. There is also quite a bit of difference inbetween
some misc addon aplets and similar not working and a major subsystem like
multimedia not work. IMHO new pieces coming into gnome should carry their
own proof of portability. After all you do expect things to work on your
linux box, right?

> Thomas
>
> --
>
> The Dave/Dina Project : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
> <-*- thomas (dot) apestaart (dot) org -*->
> And every time she sneezes
> I think it's love and oh lord
> I'm not ready for this sort of thing
> <-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->
> URGent, the best radio on the Internet - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,
	And the sound of running feet,