Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On 21 Nov 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 17:00, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 00:14, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > >   * gstreamer/gst-plugins: Multimedia framework libraries.
> > >
> > >     (Supports improved gnome-media and nautilus-media modules, both of which
> > >     replace existing functionality and are based on GStreamer features that
> > >     are tested and work well.)
> >
> > Do gstreamer and its plugins work on other platforms like FreeBSD and
> > Solaris?  (The latter of which I think is one of our reference
> > platforms, correct?)
>
> Since when do we have reference platforms ? I missed something and GNOME

Well, in fact this (ok, it was called something like supported platforms
or similar) is a gnome 1.4 concept that sort of went away with 2.0 - or
rather, praticly everybody was concetrating on either solaris or linux and
anbything else got little attention.

> went all corporate behind my back ? It might be a priority for Sun and
> Ximian (obviously) but I seem to remember GNOME targetting "free"
> (libre) Unix-like systems, and the actual support depending on the
> volunteers' work.
>
> If nobody with access to a Sun Solaris box does the job, it won't get to
> work better by itself.
>
> > Are there out-of-the-box configuration issues with it?  Actually, the
> > same goes for all the other modules... although I don't really think
> > there are any except maybe acme, but only because I've never used it.
>
> What's wrong with acme ?

other than 'this functionality should be split inbetween x server, control
center and window manager' ?

> Cheers
>
> --
> /Bastien Nocera
> http://hadess.net
>
> #2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
> /lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
> Segmentation fault

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,
	And the sound of running feet,