Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 12:07, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Since when do we have reference platforms ?

I seem to recall some discussion back pre-2.0 with regards to platforms
we wanted to be sure we worked on before we released 2.0.  I think they
were just generically Linux and Solaris.  I'd like to see 2.2 build and
work out-of-the-box on those platforms at a minimum.

> I missed something and GNOME went all corporate behind my back ?

Relax.

> It might be a priority for Sun and Ximian (obviously) but I seem to
> remember GNOME targetting "free" (libre) Unix-like systems, and the
> actual support depending on the volunteers' work.
>
> If nobody with access to a Sun Solaris box does the job, it won't get to
> work better by itself.

I seem to recall us trying to get GNOME to build on all Unix-like
systems, which is part of the reason why we don't use GCC extensions,
don't depend on funky glibc features, etc.

I definitely agree that someone needs to step up and do the work, but I
think that all too often we tend to ignore non-Linux platforms when they
account for a fair (if dwindling) number of our users.

GNOME is largely platform independent, so why shouldn't we consider
portability a legitimate concern for including something in the desktop?

Joe