Re: the Nautilus context menu

On 14 Nov 2002, Bill Haneman wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 08:22, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On 13 Nov 2002, Bill Haneman wrote:
> >
> > > * we do need a keyboard equivalent for all drag-and-drop operations, for
> > > accessibility reasons, whether we call it "pick up" and "drop", or "cut"
> > > and "paste".  In some ways "pick up" and "drop" make the relationship
> > > between the keyboard operations and the mouse-based gestures more
> > > clear.
>
> Alex:  What you say below is *exactly* what I am saying.  For every
> operation possible via mouse drag-and-drop, we need an equivalent
> keyboard operation.  The DnD cases you cite below do have keyboard
> equivalents in many cases; but not all DnD does.  I submit that
> producing a keybinding for DnD is a much better and more robust solution
> in the long run than relying on every app maintainer to provide a
> redundant UI.

I don't think having DnD be the only way to do some operations is good.
Thats hard to discover for users (DnD is a hidden feature) and can be
problematic if your screen is cluttered etc. I think we should make sure
to always have ways to do all operations that don't involve DnD.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed pirate matador with a passion for fast cars. She's a
sarcastic winged opera singer with an MBA from Harvard. They fight crime!