Re: the Nautilus context menu

On 13 Nov 2002, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Date: 13 Nov 2002 13:57:46 -0500
> From: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: the Nautilus context menu
>
> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 13:46, John McCutchan wrote:
> > This sounds like a great idea. Also to a non-computer user

I am not entirely sure but on balance merging Open into Open with sounds
good.  I would hope that an actual session of nautilus it would not say
<default> but instead have the actual program name.

I would love to hear what the Sun usability people think.

> > I think pickup and drop are better keywords then copy and paste.
>
> Ew.  People know what Cut and Paste is.  Going to Pickup and Drop for
> what is a Cut/Copy and Paste will only confuse users, even throughout
> the rest of the desktop (i.e., Edit->Copy in menues).

I agree, this is massively inconsistant.
While it might be a good idea, these things must be
substantially and significantly better for me to consider ditching the
habit of a lifetime.
You would also totally confuse my mother, who had enough trouble learning
copy and paste.

I would love to hear what the Sun usability people think, but frankley i
would be amazed if they went for it.

If you are that concerned about saving space you would get rid of
Duplicate and people would suffer the extra step and use Copy and Paste.

> > > <snip>

> > > 4) Rename used to be afforded by clicking on the label. What happend to
> > >    this? Bring this back and get rid of the Rename... menu item. There

Personally from habit and because of consistancey I would like to be able
to do it the old way but it rings a
bell, i think there is some usability arguement for not doing it this way,
something like that it is non obvious to have part of the 'icon/target'
behave differently when you double click on it.

Perhaps developers should be forced to put any add ons to the context menu
in a pre-designated submenu then they wont be so eager to fill the context
menu with junk?  (Random idea, probably wont fly)
There are probably better ways to discourage messy developers.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan