Re: "Desktop preferences" as a top-level item

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> >
> > How about something like:
> >
> >   |                 |
> >   |    ...          |
> >   | Preferences > +----------+
> >   |    ...        | Personal |
> >                   | System   |
> >                   | Services |
> >                   +----------+
> >

> Yep, along those lines. My main worry about it is that it's kind of
> deep menu nesting.

This would help only partially, but what about moving only the user
preferences up one level:

 Preferences >
   System >
   Services >
   Font
   Keyboard

To me at least that would feel quite natural.  The reason is that I see
system- and server-settings as somehow special whereas user-settings are
just the "normal" settings, e.g. the ones that I usually care about.

Regards,
Lars