Re: Keynav and accessibility

HI Bryan:

> in Opera keys "Q W E A S D Z X" plus numbers "0 to 9" do browser commands,
> but in *all* text entry areas they output the expected characters. in GNOME
> once something like GNOME panel has focus some keys can give commands until
> text. please read what i wrote before:

Rest assured that I did read your message, carefully :-)

> "Bringing that concept of up & down keys to GNOME control areas my thought
> is using the ", & ." keys since they have the "< & >" symbols on them to
> indicate how the command selector will move [Notably Windows Help files use
> the "< & >" keys to turn pages in the files so this a known usage [grin]].
> Importantly those keys can be added to the command structure without
> disturbing anything else because they will only work once a control area
> has input focus."

There is a strong tension between providing custom keymappings for
various control areas, which can keep keybindings short, and the also
very real need for consistency.  The shortcuts which may help you might
prove to be impediments for other users.  As Christian points out, what
seem like simple solutions may create their own problems, for instance
with non-US keyboards, etc.

That's why, when it comes to customizing actions for some mobility
issues, it may make more sense to use an intermediary like GOK.
Moreover, GOK could provide user-customizable shortcuts for any and all
GNOME applications, so that you would not need to rely on the
application maintainers to implement your own keynav preferences.

Note that GNOME 2 has user interface guidelines which specify how
applications should provide keybindings and to what extent they should
honor GNOME conventions in keybindings and other respects.  I am not
sure offhand to what extent your suggestions might violate the HIG if
they were made the default application behavior.

regards,

Bill