Re: Keynav and accessibility

in Opera keys "Q W E A S D Z X" plus numbers "0 to 9" do browser commands,
but in *all* text entry areas they output the expected characters. in GNOME
once something like GNOME panel has focus some keys can give commands until
text. please read what i wrote before:

"Bringing that concept of up & down keys to GNOME control areas my thought
is using the ", & ." keys since they have the "< & >" symbols on them to
indicate how the command selector will move [Notably Windows Help files use
the "< & >" keys to turn pages in the files so this a known usage [grin]].
Importantly those keys can be added to the command structure without
disturbing anything else because they will only work once a control area
has input focus."

even Windows Help does it so I know the great GNOME coders can do it do [grin]

>Bryan Campbell wrote
>> I'm a guy whose physical disabled who types & runs
>> computers, over 23 years, with a headwand now on a standard Windows
>> style keyboard [image on http://www.opera.com/press/guides/operapower
>> suggests how i work].

3:14 PM 29/08/02 +0100 you wrote
>As Luis says, we're committed to 100% keyboard navigability of GNOME 2.
>However, single-key navigation is troublesome for a number of reasons;
>for one thing, in order to provide *consistent* keyboard navigation
>without conflicting with text entry and application-specific use of the
>keyboard, we must for the most part rely on meta-keys.  Function keys
>might provide an alternative, but in general function keys are reserved
>for use by application-specific functions

Regards,
Bryan Campbell

--> "It has been said the pebbles can't stop the avalanche, guess the
pebbles didn't have access to the Web!"