Re: Theme Set, part two

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 22:09, Seth Nickell wrote:

> I did some quick mockups (in glade) for an alternate proposal for the
> theme set preference page using elements of Bill & Calum's as well as
> incorporating my own comments on the issue. They are attached.
>
> 1) I do not think fonts, background, and other elements should be
> changed from this page. I think menu/cc entries and tabs are both
> organization tools toward the same end.

As you know, incorporation of font and background settings into the
"Desktop Theme" is the primary motivation for having a meta-theme UI
from the point of view of accessibility.  So a 'Desktop Theme' must be
capable of setting background and font, in order to meet accessibility
requirements, as you note in your point #2 below.  However I don't see
the value in "not using" this capability for other "Desktop Themes" or
"Theme Sets" or whatever we call them.  Yes, I _know_ we aren't trying
to emulate Windoze here, but after all it (and some other OS'es) do
include background and font info in their equivalent UIs, so this is a
familiar and conventional concept, even if one can construct reasonable
alternatives.  Since we need this (inclusion of both "primary" and
"furnishings" settings in the meta-theme sphere of control) for
accessibility, why be inconsistent when it comes to other theme sets?

I also think that this proposal may be a little more complex that what
we need; I think the ability to indicate when the user has customized
the current desktop appearance settings (i.e when the current settings
are a variant of a "Theme Set") is simpler than adding "Edit" features,
and just as effective.  Besides, if we don't have some sort of
"is_custom" binary indicator, there will be an inconsistency between
what the user sees in the "current theme set" and what is actually
displayed.  So I think the indication that a theme has been "customized"
(i.e. the user has changed an appearance-related gconf key after
selecting a metatheme) is required anyway.  "Save As...", as a means of
snapshotting the current appearance settings into a new named theme
seems much simpler than the alternative of

	Duplicate->Edit

and would avoid clashes with the existing appearance capplets.

Putting the existing capplets underneath a general "Desktop Theme" or
"Appearance" menu makes a lot of sense, and using notebook tabs to group
them seems OK also, but I would put the "Theme Set" or "General" tab in
the same group, in that case.

I am factoring in "expediency" here, since we really need this for 2.2;
the more refactoring of existing capplets we do, the more we delay this
feature, and the more controversy and discussion (potentially useful as
it might be) we will generate.  So I vote for just reordering the
capplets in the menus, adding a "Theme Set" or "Desktop Theme Set"
capplet with "Save As..." and "Delete", and leaving the old capplets as
they are.

The mini-previews are potentially useful as mnemonics or to show color
schemes, but probably too small to be useful for users who haven't tried
the full-size settings before.  But the use of the list seems nice, the
resulting layout with buttons on the RHS and the list on the LHS looks
good to me.

Actually copying the font from the metatheme into the list label (a
small extrapolation from Seth's suggestion to make accessibility-theme
labels larger) is a clever idea; it does provide new useful information
that the mini-previews cannot.  It seems a little eccentric HIG-wise,
but do the advantages justify the quirkiness?

Thanks for your comments, best regards

-Bill