Re: Re-inventing Metatheme

On 27Aug2002 01:18AM (-0500), Steve Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 23:27, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > This sounds inadequate from a usability perspective. The typical theme
> > user will only care about setting a matched set of themes, not
> > monkeying with them individually.
>
> I strongly disagree with this. My family members and relatives have
> several times over the years asked me how to use Windows themes for the
> colors, fonts, and backgrounds, while wanting to not use the supplied
> screensaver or cursors. Not to mention some people are particularly
> attached to their XMMS themes.

I think your family members are atypical. Most people customize
nothing at all. However, I did not suggest that the ability for
fine-grained customization should be removed, just that the simple UI
where you set only one theme should work well.

 - Maciej

P.S. I don't think desktop-wide themes should change cursors or your
screensaver setting at all, that's just crack.