Re: User Managment

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 01:44, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El dom, 18-08-2002 a las 22:13, Daniel Borgmann escribió:
> > Hello,
> >

> Hi
>
> > are there any plans to improve user managment?
> > I think this is a big problem currently of GNOME. Unix user managment
> > works great on the console, but there doesn't seem to be a convenient
> > replacement for "su" on the desktop. This has a critical effect, as it
> > forces home users either to rely on the terminal for certain tasks
> > (don't tell me that a user never ever has to touch anything but his
> > $HOME) or run as root all the time (or relogin as root for every single
> > task). And as it is always suggested _not_ to use the root account in X,
> > this is a problem.
> > I asked someone to explain me how Apple solved it in OS X as I figured
> > they would face the same problem. He told me that users can be
> > "administrators" and the first user is an administrator by default.
> > However, administrators still can't hose the filesystem, so it's not the
> > "root" account. But they can do things on the GUI like installing
> > software or changing the root and other user's passwords. Whenever they
> > try to change systemfiles (in finder most probably), they are asked for
> > this root password. And of course they can do sudo on the console (or su
> > but this seems to be disabled by default).
>
> MacOSX uses sudo for all tasks. They have a frontend to ask for your
> password as does the sudo command.

And we have gnome-sudo that I ported to GNOME2 some time ago :)

> > Is there a chance that we see something like this in the near future in
> > GNOME? I see a lot of people complaining that one of the problems of
> > GNU/Linux on the desktop still is, that you can't do everything from the
> > GUI. This might not be important for total beginners or companies (as
> > they have administrators for this task), but for the typical desktop
> > poweruser it certainly is.
> >

> The "problem" is that this change should be done at the distribution
> level, not at GNOME level.

I said we should add some "front-end" to xsu, gnome-su, gnome-sudo,
whatever graphical su is installed, to put in gnome-desktop (?).

Simple case:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -x /usr/bin/gnome-su ] ; then
	/usr/bin/gnome-su $*;
fi

etc.

Maybe a file in /etc to configure that, so that the distro could chose a
nice default. This script should probably tell the user if there isn't
anything for him to get root access on his machine.

That way, one would just add "gnome-super-user-helper foobar" in the
.desktop file, and could rely on that function being present.

(probably even better would be using an alternatives setup, like Debian
and RH already support).

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera