Re: .desktop -> bugzilla

Ali Akcaagac wrote:

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 05:58, Luis Villa wrote:
KDE doesn't use bugzilla? It'd be nice if when KDE apps crash we can
report bugs on them, and vice versa....
They still use debbugs, which is the ultimate proof that it is our
destiny to rule the desktop :)

so ?

i think their bugreporting system is far better than bugzilla.

- their users don't need to deal with an horrible interface.

Which interface are you talking about? Bug-buddy or the web based bug submission interface. Do you have any ideas for improvement?

- you can report bugs right from the app.

When a gnome app crashes, you can report a bug right away with bug buddy. For non crasher bugs, you can start bug-buddy from the applications menu, or use your web browser.

- no crappy login which requires another password.

There is a very good reason for wanting confirmation of the email address. Many reported bugs are not very useful at face value, but if the maintainer has a way to get additional information from the reporter, then it can be much more useful.

- it does what it has to do. simply reporting bugs.

As a maintainer, I want a system that helps manage and track bugs. From this point of view, debbugs is horrible. If the bug tracking system is unusable to the maintainers, then it doesn't matter how good the reporting interface is.

Debbugs may work okay for the Debian project, but most software projects have quite different needs.

it may for sure have issues that i haven't seen yet but from an users
point of view it can't go easier. how many bugs did you people missed
for gnome because the user doesn't want to create yet another account
for reporting some stuff. even bug-buddy isn't that comfortable after
all.

I don't know the answer to that. I know that I have received many useless bug reports from unreachable reporters in the past (root localhost localdomain, for instance). I have had a fairly small number of really useful bug reports from anonymous sources in the past. I would be even happier if bug-buddy required people to have a valid bugzilla account (it could help them create it, of course).

after all this may be for sure a matter of taste too.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.