Re: keyboard shortcuts

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 19:28, Martin Waitz wrote:
> hi :)
>
> i greatly appreciate the improved keyboard navigation in gnome2.
>
> however i think there is still room for improvements:
>
> ctrl-U doesn't clear the line anymore in text widgets.

I never knew it did :-)
You appear to be right. My first guess would be that ctrl+U was reserved
for something else, but I'm not sure.

You may want to file a bug against GTK about it...

> in message boxes, the first letter of the buttons is used as an
> shortcut, for example Alt-Y will activate y and Alt-N will
> activate no.
> why do i have to press alt here?
> it would be a lot easier to simply press y or n.
> one could bind both Alt-Letter and Letter-only to the button.
> if some widget that needs keyboard input by itself is focused,
> it should of course get those -- i don't want a dialog to close
> while typing text.
> but in the absence of a focused text input field, pressing
> the alt key is simply not needed.

While that's true and it might make life marginally easier for some
users, in general I think it would only add confusion.

> similar for many 'simple' applications:
> why do i have to press Control for _every_ keyboard command,
> even when the not-control keys do nothing?
> one could of course say: control keys work everywhere!
> everything else would be inconsistent.
> but i don't understand why some applications have to use broken
> keyboard commands just because others do, too...

If both `c' and ctrl+c were "copy", for a particular application, that
might be ok in that people unfamiliar with it would get the desired
action when they hit ctrl+c. However adding that inconsistancy would,
for most uesers I supsect, just get in the way of getting things done.

As for the first question, though, do file a bug report. The worst that
will happen is it'll be closed as WONTFIX.

--Ben