Re: gnome-session-2.0.2 problem

Hi Louis,

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 06:09, Louis Garcia wrote:
> I've noticed that gnome-session-2.0.2 splash screen has a few seconds of
> delay before the desktop appears. The previous version did not have this
> problem. New feature or bug?

	The previous version ? the previous version had the seconds of delay,
but it just didn't render the background for them - it stuck an evil
grey rectangle there instead.

	The delay is down to 2 things, firstly the first app starting up - I
don't think this is a large cost; and secondly, pango initializing,
which is a larger cost - and must be done before we can render the
string at the bottom. You see this, at this time because pango sensibly
initialises idly as it's needed. Depending on your setup, it's prolly
either searching for fonts on your local disk, or poking at the X server
for them.

	Also; since I couldn't persuade pango to render it's text at a smaller
font size than we have, various languages are quite nastily cropped;
Jacub, it'd be good to either remove the horizontal bar across the
bottom of the splash, or move it up several [ 4+ ] pixels, so we have a
chance of fitting nice i18nized text with non-cropped descent. Can you
do that ? and tweak the constants in splash-widget.h so the text looks
better [ use test-splash ].

	Regards,

		Michael.