Re: [Deskbar] Consistency regarding Searches, Extensions, Plug-Ins, Handlers

Resent that to the list:

Nigel Tao wrote:
> In composing my recent spiel to desktop-devel-list, I've noticed that
> we use Searches [1] and Extensions on two out of the three tabs in the
> preferences panel, and the NewStuffManager installation dialog
> mentions "handler".  You can see this on the screenshots at
> http://blogs.gnome.org/view/nigeltao/2006/07/30/0 .  I've also often
> said Plug-in.
>
> We really should be be consistent, and stick with one word.  I'll
> propose Extensions, same as Epiphany and Firefox (but not gEdit).  It
> will remain Handlers in the code-base, but it will be Extensions in
> the UI.
>
> [1] The tab is "Searches", and right underneath that is a bold label
> "Loaded Extensions".  Maybe we should just call the tab "Loaded
> Extensions" or just "Extensions" and scrap the label??
>
> Thoughts?
We should definitely use one term only. I think extension is the best one.

In addition, I've read your blog entry.
Regarding the privacy thing:
You're right. It's unneccessary to connect to the webserver each time the
preferences dialog is opened.
I tried to change that bahviour. It now only connects to the webserver if
an update is ivoked by the user.
You can check the patch at a new upcoming thread.

--
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl