Re: [Deskbar] Pushing handler updates from a central repo

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 23:17 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> There was a bit of discussion about having a central handler
> repository from where updated handlers could be pushed (in repsonse to
> gmail api changes and such).
>
> Before anyone proceed with any code on this I think we ought to have a
> good discussion about this, since I see several issues...
>
> * Should distros be allowed to overwrite the repo url, to provide?
> Should they be encouraged/discouraged to do so?

I don't see how this can possibly be disallowed. OTOH, it should
probably be discouraged. Certainly the list of URLs to check should be
able to be supplemented with distro-private values though, which may be
enough to discourage it.

> * Each version of deskbar should have a unique repo (to avoid api
> mess)

Or perhaps the APIs themselves should be versioned and the repo can be
for a specific API version.

> * Are updates stored in ~/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers or in
> $PREFIX/lib/deskbar-applet/handlers (for prefix typically being /usr).
> Storing updates in home folders can become a pain for us and sysadmins
> alike. Requiring root privs seems like a bad idea on the other hand.

They definitely shouldn't require sysadmin intervention to install. What
might help is 1) if the handlers are versioned so that you can have an
updated version of a global handler installed locally, and 2) have the
version and location (local/global) of the handler listed in the
preferences pane.

You also have to handle the situation whereby some package has been
updated and the global handler is now newer than the local handler.

> * Should updates be automatic in the background or manual? I hope
> manual, since we don't want even slower sartup times.

Manual.

> * Security? Do we need to start signing handlers..? Maybe not - I'm
> kinda groggy atm...

I would allow for it in the code, but not require distro packages to use
or implement it.

http://fedora.ivazquez.net/