Inotify Kernel Question

I'm just curious why inotify isn't able to be built as a kernel module?
It would seem with the steady development on inotify, that builing it
into the kernel just isn't prudent, and causes excess work to be done by
continually having to rebuild/change-out kernels, when it could be built
as a module, and inserted into any existing/working kernel. I know this
may seem like a trivial question, but you know how curiousity can be.
^_^