Re: Inotify

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 15:52 +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> Perhaps the question I should ask is: if I implemented a patch providing
> a filesystem polling based substitute to inotify, would it be accepted?
> Assuming it had decent code quality, etc, of course.

I'd probably accept it such a patch if it was done cleanly, didn't
cripple things too badly, etc.

> What is the non-file-derivable metadata you refer to? ...
> If beagle is going to absolutely depend on such things,
> perhaps it does make a filesystem polling solution unworkable...

We plan to have beagle start tracking lots of extra metadata, like "file
'foo' was downloaded from web page http://www.bar.com";.  Obviously that
can't be derived just by inspecting foo, and that sort of information
should persist even if foo is renamed.  Of course, none of this is
implemented yet.

-J