Re: pdf/word filters for beagle

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 06:55 -0400, christopher taylor wrote:
> i chatted with chris lahey last night about it. he told me the very
> same about the word doc stuff.

:-)

> if you need help - i was reviewing code to a program called 'antiword'
> it does conversions of word docs to txt, xml, and ps. if you could
> pass that on to your dev team - it may help get the work completed
> faster (then again, i don't know where they are)

Will definitely have a look at it.

> as for pdf, i'm actually looking at code from pdftotext and pdftohtml.
> as of right now i'm doing a C version for some of the lower end code.
> so it's in the works.

I would probably suggest not to take pdftotext or xpdf utils as they use
"device context" oriented rendering of pdf files.  We can probably look
something on a higher level, like, sharppdf etc.

> lahey told me he'd hook nat up with my name for mailing list
> references, etc. - do you have a good clue regarding which mailing
> lists i should join?
for beagle.. the mailing list is #dashboard-hackers.

Probably you might want to check:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/beagle/

> also - lahey wanted me to integrate with libgsf - i'll look into that
> too.

For MS Word/Excel documents??? if so, i am currently working on it and
half way through it and probably let us not do a redundant work :-).

V.Varadhan.