Re: contributing to gncal

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:46:07 +0100, "Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I like todo-list from gncal, but there are some things lacking
(IMHO), most no
>tably _categories_. The vCal spec mentions them, and gncal is
prepared for the
>m (calobj.h). So, I could add categories. However, I think people
are overhaul
>ing gnome-pim for inclusion in Evolution -- considering this, would
it be  wor
>thwile to spend time patching the current gncal?

Sounds great- adding category support has been on my personal todo
list for a while, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.  Patches to
implement it would be gladly accepted...

A few notes:

1. Whatever support you add should work for both todo items and
appointments; that shouldn't be too hard, since they're both
iCalObject's.

2. You should probably read the archive of this list from late
May/early June 1999, in which we discussed some design issues related
to categories (when I started a now-abandoned attempt at adding
them)- he consensus at the time was to use an XML file to define
categories and attributes.

If you have any questions, feel free to either e-mail me or the
list...

As to Evolution, my understanding is that most of gnomecal is going
to be incorporated as is (using Bonobo), so it should be safe to hack
on the current code base.  I'm sure Miguel will correct me (and warn
you) if I'm wrong...

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999