Re: Gnomecal standards target

[Sorry for my last mail- I really did type comments, I just have no idea where they went...]

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:11:00 PDT, doctor jest wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Russell Steinthal wrote:
>
>> Well, I see three ways of proceeding, at this point:
>
>take a look at http://www.softwarestudio.org/libical/ before
>you start writing a new ical library .. ical is a very
>complicated data format, and there is a lot of domain
>knowledge that's gone into the design of that library. not
>that its necessarily the be-all and end-all, but its
>definitely at least a starting point.

Interesting.  Unfortunately, there may be licensing issues- libical
is licensed under the Mozilla Public License, and while I haven't had
a chance to review the actual terms of the license in detail, I am
told by people on #gnome that the MPL and GPL are incompatible, which
would rule out using the code in gnome-pim.  (Unless, apparently, one
uses a Bonobo component, but I'm not sure that's applicable to a
library).

In any case, we can certainly learn from its design and code if we
end up having to write our own iCalendar library.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999