Re: Gnomecal standards target

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:41:24 CDT, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>We want to either upgrade libversit or create a libversit replacement
>that we can use for being iCalendar compliant.
>
>So, our code internally was designed to used iCalendar, but we were
>stuck with vCalendar, as at the time the iCalendar spec was not yet
>finished.
>
>Now, that being said, we need to improve it internally to support
both
>formats at the same time.

Well, I see three ways of proceeding, at this point:

1. Start work on a new libical now, whether built on libversit or
from scratch.
2. Defer the work on the new format for the "next-generation"
gnome-pim (as part of the new PIM/messaging app).
3. Do #2, while inserting hacks in gnome-pim to handle things like
unlimited alarms.  (I think I know how I could do that, but it's a
question of whether it's worth the effort just to cobble support onto
vCalendar-format files.  OTOH, if we're going to continue to support
both formats indefinitely, maybe it pays to use a gnome-pim extension
to vCal so that we can implement the same feature set over both file
formats...)

I happen to have some extra time this week, so it would be great if
we can figure out how we want to proceed in the relative short term.
But it's obviously not essential...

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999