Re: GnomeCard conduit for gnome-pilot

Miguel de Icaza writes:

 > > I've written the first version of GnomeCard conduit for
 > > gnome-pilot. Similar to the current GnomeCal conduit. With your
 > > permission I'd like to commit it to cvs under
 > > "gnome-pim/gnomecard". Please let me know if that's Ok.
 >
 > I have no objections.  Have you talked to Eskil?  He might be
 > interested in knowing that this conduit exists.

Absolutely, I'm in pretty close contact with him regarding
my gnome-pilot hacking activities in general, and he's fully aware of
me doing this conduit.

 > > Currently it writes/reads directly to .gcrd files (using functions
 > > from card.h)  because current corba idl is not completely enough for
 > > all pilot's fields.
 >
 > I think it is a mistake that the addressbook CORBA interface is
 > specific to the field-level.
 >
 > I rather use the approach used in GnomeCal: transfering entire vCard
 > records between the conduit and the addressbook.  And having the
 > conduit modify this and send an updated version to the calendar.
 >
 > Providing lots of interfaces and lots of CORBA methods sounds to me
 > like a bad idea in general.

Actually interface has too few methods if you ask me. Addressbooks's
conduit does deal with entire vcard, but not as a string as GnomeCal
does but as CORBA defined structure and that structure doesn't have
all the fields that are really there. For example it only has one
Phone and one Email, when Pilot and vCard both can support multiples of
these.

 > > It is also my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong, that
 > > there are plans to significantly
 > > change/rewrite/merge/replace/whatever gnomecard into something
 > > else. So I guess this conduit can act as a tempororary thing
 > > currently, till this happens.
 >
 > Well, we can definetly use this code in the next "thing" anyways.  The
 > next thing is called evolution.

My thoughts exactly.

One GnomeCard conduit coming up...

Vadim