Re: [Banshee-List] About GstPlayerEngine

All the "capabilities" are essentially hints. I'll have to double check
about mms, but basically it works like this for both codec and transport
support:

If a player engine _explicitly_ declares support for something, it has
preference. Otherwise, the default engine is used. For instance, MP3
preference is given to the Helix Remote engine (RealPlayer). If Helix
Remote is not installed, the default (GStreamer) engine will be used.
Just because something isn't in the list doesn't mean it's not
supported.

Regarding gstreamer-sharp: Khaled is starting to pick up more work on
the project and we'll make information more public in the near future.
He is working on a few separate goals which will eventually tie together
in the bindings. After extensive unit tests and QA, yes, the plan is to
drop libbanshee altogether and port all the C backend GStreamer code to
C#.

The goals are basically this:

a) Use GAPI to generate bindings, fix up API and add customs/glue where
necessary (mostly done)

b) Port PyGst unit tests to C#, write more unit tests where
necessary/specific to mono bindings (partially done)

c) Implement dynamic signal support necessary for binding managed
delegates to arbitrary GLib/GObject signals at runtime (essentially
done, need to support GLib.Opaque/GstMiniObject marshalling)

d) Port official GStreamer samples and possibly a backend or two from
libbanshee as tests (very little done)

Cheers,
Aaron