[Banshee-List] Some streaming problems

I've been looking into streaming radio for the last 2 days, here's some
of the problems I've ran into. Some advice on designing/avoiding these
would be very appreciated:

 * Metadata:    Streaming radio is a flow of data, with metadata
embedded, is there a way to have the playerengine read this metadata and
report it back to the UI? Also, the TrackInfo object won't do, I'm not
even sure if a stream reports Artist / Song separately, and we need a
way in the UI to show the currently playing radio station (off-course,
we could abuse the album field of TrackInfo, which would a total
rape ;-)).

 * Buffer Status:    Currently streaming happens by giving a URL to the
playerengine and praying it works (and mind you, I'm not a religious
person). Can we get buffer status somewhere, and report it back to the
UI. Could this whole streaming thing be made more robust (I seem to
recall bug reports of banshee simply dying when the DAAP stream breaks)?

 * Authentication:    Stuff like last.fm uses an authenticated protocol,
can we implement this without having to fix all playerengines?

These are the problems I ran into at first sight, suggestions would be
highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
   Ruben

--