Re: New translatable string unclear

On 12/21/2005 09:26:39 AM Wed, Mişu Moldovan wrote:

În data de Mi, 21 dec 05 la 15:44, Peter Bloomfield a scris:
[ snip ]
But X-Face and Face are names of message headers, so should they be translated? If not, how can we mark them as such?

There are already some occurences of "Face" and "X-Face" in Balsa's translatable strings. See below:

dumol twinsun ~ $ grep -i face balsa.HEAD.ro.po | grep msgid
msgid "_Face Path"
msgid "_X-Face Path"
msgid "Face header file %s is too long (%d bytes)."
msgid "Face header file %s contains binary data."
msgid "Error loading face: %s"
msgid "Bad X-Face data"
msgid "Error loading Face: %s"

As always, translators need to figure it out somehow. Developer comments to guide them would be most welcomed.

Thanks to you and Jean-Luc for the suggestions! Cvs now has two separate format strings for the unclear case, and comments for all related strings requesting that "Face" not be translated. Also "Error loading face: %s" has been made case-consistent with the other strings.

We appreciate the efforts of the translators, and really don't go out of our way to make their task difficult!

With regards, and best wishes for the holidays,