mailbox index list appearance

I'm trying to run balsa 2.0.9 using a Gnome1.4 desktop.  I've built balsa and
all the
requisite Gnome2 libs using GARNOME and have set up my environment to find
all the Gnome2 libs first in the search path.  Things are working pretty well,
but I've
noticed that there is entirely too much whitespace in the mailbox list and
mailbox
index windows.  Does anyone know what I can do to tell GTK2 to put less space
around things these GtkTreeView lists?  I'm mostly interested in changing the
vertical spacing so that it is about the same as what I find in the pop-up
menu.

Lynn Kerby