Re: Forwarding question

On Wed 19:44, 29 January 2003 Albrecht Dreß wrote:

> Am 29.01.03 17:29 schrieb(en) Laurent Duperval:
>> Sometimes I want to forward a message with an attachment but I want to edit
>> the content of the message. So I want inline forwarding, with attachments
>> included. Is this possible?
>
> You have to save the attachment, do a forward inline, and add the previously
> saved attachment. Forward attached adds the *complete* message including all
> headers, keeping it's original structure completely intact, so there is no
> way to edit the contents. Remember that editing the original contents of a
> mail might do strange things with it's encoding (e.g. you receive a message
> in koi-8r encoding, but forward in iso-8859-1; what happens with all the
> russian chars?), so I think attaching a message is generally safer.

An important point to note is that modifying the message before forwarding it
is creating a brand new message.  It SHOULD not therefore be forwarded as a
message/rfc822 as none of the original RFC 2822 message headers apply. In
particular the authorship has changed and the original Message-ID cannot apply
to the edited message.  About the only thing that might survive editing from
the original message is the MIME structure.

Brian