Re: some devel-questions

On 04/29/2003, mt@abe-si.de wrote:
> I have some questions: (balsa-2.0.10)

All good questions!  And mostly, I suspect with the same answer:
they're waiting for someone to do the work!

> 1) Why use balse not glade? If it use it, it is very easy to
> change some dialogs and other GUI-features and a binding to
> atk is also easy.

Porting Balsa to glade has been raised before--but it needs someone to
implement it, and to commit to maintaining it.

> 2) Why use balsa xpm-icons in toolbar, so we can't use transparence
> and when xpm-icons are 'included', then no other external program
> can change the look and feed (like themes-managers).

If there are non-Balsa icons that could be used instead, and that allow
that flexibility, let's use them!

> 3) GNOME will define some Icon-setting 'gtk_stock_' - but balsa will
> use only own icons.

Balsa uses many GtkStock* items, but needs some icons that the stock
system doesn't seem to supply--we're not holding on to any just to
avoid using stock items, so far as I know.

> 4) Why use balsa not gconf for store the settings? It's a bad idea
> to use gconf?

Imho, no, just some work...but others may disagree.

> 5) Work some people on usability for balsa? I mean, some menu-entries
> are not on the correct place, example:
> (if no folder selected) then "-->edit-->find"  (is not possible, but
> the menu-entry is not disable) .... and this menu-entry works not
> global, so I think it's beter to place to "-->mailbox-->find"

If you can point out a specific list, great!  If you can provide
patches, even better!!

> sorry, for my bad english, Regards,
> Heiko

Oh, thanks for the feedback!