Re: [Q]

On Mon, 26 November 09:52 Emmanuel wrote:
> 	Hi all,
> I was wondering if looking only to the e-mail address part of an address was
> sufficient for filters/search functions. I mean perhaps we should also
> include the "full_name" field of the address because in general you remember
> it more easily than the actual mail address.

I presume you mean the "phrase" as it is referred to in RFC 2822.

If so, I would not reccommend using this for a filter, since it may be omitted
or in some arbitrary format determined by the sending MUA.  Only the mailbox
part of the address can be compared reliably - and even then the usual care is
needed wrt case sensitivity on the left and right of the @.

OTOH, if the mailbox address is used as an index into the local address book
to find the string to compare for the filter rules, that could be made
reliable since the user is in control of their address book.

--
Brian Stafford