displaying the next unread in a collapsed subtree after delete of its root

When balsa displays the root message of a collapsed thread subtree
which has other unread messages in it, and you hit delete, the next
message balsa selects to preview, is not in that subtree.

I believe it should be. To make it so, I think I need something like

   		enable_empty_trash(TRASH_CHECK);
   	}
   	g_list_free(messages);
       }
             /* select another message depending on where we are in the
list */
       if (GTK_CLIST(index->ctree)->rows > message_count) {
!         if (select_next) {
!             /* if this is the root of a collapsed (sub)tree expand
before anything else */
!             gtk_ctree_expand( <TREE> , <NODE> );
               balsa_index_select_next(index);
! 	} else
               balsa_index_select_previous(index);
       }       /* sync with backend AFTER adjacent message is selected.
          Update the style and message counts in the mailbox list */
       libbalsa_mailbox_sync_backend(index->mailbox_node->mailbox);

in do_delete() in balsa_index.c, but I don't know enough about gtk to
get this right. Can anybody help me?

Thanks. WIllem Riede.