Re: Fwd: How to get rid of +OK nnnn octets strings [jmcoopr webmail bmi net]

In <20010712084039.C30305@helicon.office-logic.com>, on 07/12/2001
   at 08:40 AM, Brian Stafford <brian@stafford.uklinux.net> said:

>On Thu, 12 July 05:34 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
>> On 2001.07.05 17:04 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
>>
>> Well, I'm using procmail 3.21 on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE as a mailbox
>> filter for Balsa 1.14_2.  Some of the time, things work great.  But,
>> particularly with IE 5.x, Netscape, mutt, and Pine-originated
>> messages, I get a "+OK nnnn octests" (where nnnn is some number) just

>That is a POP 3 response line.

>When the RETR command is issued the POP server responds with

>+OK arbitrary text
>message in RFC 2822 format
>.

>(the last line is a single period)

>> below the From jmcoopr some-date line in the messages I receive.  This

>The "From " line at the start of the mailbox is Berkeley brain damage.

>> confuses Balsa no end.  Manually deleting the +OK string make Balsa
>> happy, but: 1) I can't figure out why procmail is appending this
>> string to my inbound messages; 2) I can't figure out any way to
>> eliminate this string from these messsages automatically; and 3)
>> manually deleting is not practical when I receive several hundred
>> messages per day.

>I can't see why you get the results you do, but hopefully it will help
>knowing where the extra lines come from.

>Brian Stafford

Yes, it does help.  It doesn't surprise me that my ISP's POP3 server is
bunged.  On the other hand, it's the only POP3 server I've got, and it's
the only ISP in my area (aren't monopolies fun!!).

The fact remains that, without the recipe I've indicated, any e-mail with
the slightest hint of MIME in it becomes unreadable (well, it's still
readable if you don't mind paging through a few screens of full-
length header, living without a working subject line or "From:", etc.).

jmc

jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net

Using OS/2 since 1.0

P.S., I'm using my other mail reader today.  My POP3 won't successfully
download into balsa today.  MR/2 goes into some sort of degrade mode when
the going gets tough and seems to fetch a message at a time--
better than choking early in a 150+ message download from my less-
than-desirable POP3 server.  Oh well . . .