Re: Commited some patches - backlog decreased.

Am 06.07.2001 13:30:40 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
> We have several patches waiting for evaluation (I apologise) but I hope
> to have time for decreasing the backlog.

To make things worse, here are two other ones... ;-))

The first fixes print.c to improve an ugly layout if the mail contains tabs.

I sent the second one to Carlos a few days ago, but forgot the cc to the list:

> Am 04.07.2001 23:58:25 schrieb(en) Albrecht Dreß:
> Hi Carlos!
>
> Am 03.07.2001 23:10:17 schrieb(en) Carlos Morgado:
> [snip]
> > on your own time. a new version isn't coming any time soon :)
> >
> O.K., I attach a new patch, this time *only* for balsa_message.c, which
> should
> fix this old font related bug (#55548) and the "hot area" problem. I still
> use
> the old regexp. This works for any mail I could check, including the
> bookmark
> file you sent me. However, with this one I saw a ugly behaviour of balsa,
> because it displayed the mail, but did not show any scrollbar, so I could
> just
> see the first few lines. This seems to be LinuxPPC related, as it does not
> happen with RedHat 7.0 on Intel. It would be really nice if you could check
> the patch, and, if you like it (and are satisfied with the speed, it
> *should*
> be faster!), insert it into the cvs. I will then work on the rest...
>
> Regarding the new regexp, I make a simple test, measuring the time needed to
> display a message on my old PPC 604e/166. I checked (a) the bookmarks file,
> (b) an other long mail with tons of urls, and (c) a "simple" mail with few
> lines and just one url. I checked with the url code completely disabled
> (first
> case), with just running the regexec, but without the draw callback (second
> case), the complete solution as in the attached patch (third case), and the
> same, but the the "improved" regexp from my last bad patch (fourth case).
> Here
> are the results (all in milliseconds):
>
>       no regexec   scan, no     scan, hot    scan, hot
>       scan         hot areas    areas (old)  areas (new)
> (a)   192          598          613          1160
> (b)   120          422          446           958
> (c)     5.7          5.5          5.5          10
>
> So apparently running regexec causes the delay, and especially the new
> regexp
> really makes trouble and eats up a huge amount of cpu time. I will
> investigate
> this further, maybe we can improve things by using more but simpler
> expressions.

Cheers, Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  E-Mail albrecht.dress@arcormail.de

balsa-print-patch.diff.gz

balsa_message_patch.diff.gz