Re: Gnome themes and Balsa

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:11:02 Fernan Aguero wrote:
| Berend, thanks for your reply. Now everything is clearer to me.
|
| Now, is there an easy way to spot engine vs non-engine themes?

http://gtk.themes.org/ should tell you if its an engine theme.
If it doesn't, assume pixmap.  90% of the themes are pixmap themes.

If you have already installed the theme (for example, called 'apple'),
look in /usr/share/themes/apple/gtk/.  There should be a file
called gtkrc.  (directory valid for RedHat 6.x, and Debian 2.2)
In that file, look for 'engine "pixmap"' which implies its a pixmap
theme.  If it says 'engine "apple"' its a non-pixmap theme.

| Fernan.
|
| On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:17:47 Berend De Schouwer wrote:
| [snip]
|
| > CoolIce is an "engine" theme.  That means the part that draws
| > the pictures is written in C, and is optimized for those pictures.
| > "engine" themes are usually fast.
| >
| > The other themes you mentioned are "pixmap" themes.  They draw
| > pictures by using images (PNG or JPEG), and use generic drawing
| > routines, so they are usually much slower, and more memory hungry,
| > but more flexible.
|
| [snip]
|
| > Any window manager, any window manager theme.  If you want
| > maximum speed out of any GTK+ application, I suggest you try
| > another "engine" theme, like GTKStep, CoolIce or Xenophobia,
| > or run the default theme.
|

| --
|
| # --------------------------------------------------------- #
| #                                            _              #
| #   Fernan Aguero            |              / \             #
| #   Bioinformatics           |       ASCII  \ /  against    #
| #   IIB-UNSAM                |      ribbon   /   HTML       #
| #   fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar  |    campaign  / \  email      #
| #   ICQ 100325972            |             /   \            #

Kind regards,
Berend

--
Berend De Schouwer, +27-11-712-1435, UCS