pdf attachments balsa 1.1.1

Why is it that balsa does not read the mime-info defaults and user settings
properly.
My main problem is with PDF files.  Ive managed to configure and hack the
user.keys file for
Acrobat and that now works fine for the file manager, but balsa 1.1.1 does not
see the binding
and see's the attachment as application-octet-stream

Also on another issue, spell check has compiled fine, but when ever I got to use
it
I get an error "I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the
language-tag "en"

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

Scott Bain