Re: Spelling still won't work.

On Fri, Aug 31 2001 15:12:55 Kurt Guenther wrote:

> I'm still get the:  Unable to load the "aspell" module.
>
> As recommended, I've tried loading:
>
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i pspell-0.12.2-3.i386.rpm
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i aspell-0.33.7-1.i386.rpm
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i balsa-1.2.pre3-1.i386.rpm
>    error: failed dependencies:
> 	   libpspell.so.2   is needed by balsa-1.2.pre3-1
>
> However, I do get this to install just fine:
>
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i pspell-0.11.2-2.i386.rpm
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i aspell-0.32.6-2.i386.rpm
>    [root@sage downloads]# rpm -i balsa-1.2.pre3-1.i386.rpm
>    [root@sage downloads]#
>
> It just doesn't work.
>
> It has to be a newbie question.  This seems like it should be so
> easy, but I'm missing something.  I tried it on a fresh install
> of Redhat 7.1, but it failed for the same reason.

Looks like whoever built the balsa-1.2.pre3 package that you are
trying to install had pspell-0.11.2-2 installed on their system
when they built it, so that balsa binary package depends on the
library that is specific to that version of pspell.  When you
installed the newer working version of pspell it replaced that
library with a newer version thus breaking the balsa dependency.
You will run into these sorts of problems when you selectively
upgrade libraries like this from one source and then try to install
binaries built by a third party.  The easiest solution to your
problem is to download the src rpm and as root do:

$ rpm --rebuild balsa-1.2.pre3-1.i386.rpm
$ rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/balsa-1.2.pre3-1.i386.rpm

This will make a binary package that correctly matches the library
versions you have on your system.

~Jason

| Jason A. Smith                     E-mail:  smithj4_rpi@yahoo.com  |
| Physics Department                 Phone:   (518)276-2050          |
| Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute   FAX:     (518)276-6680          |
| Troy, NY 12180-3590                WWW:          N/A               |