Re: Newbie question...

On 2001.08.30 11:26 Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 2001.08.29 10:33 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> >
> > On 2001.08.29 03:21:23 +0100 Brian Jackson wrote:
> > > Ok - checked out the web page, FAQ and online docs.  Couldn't find
> the
> > > answer...
> > >
> > > I have a POP3 mailbox created, which is successfully downloading my
> > mail
> > > properly.  The messages are all put into /var/mail/username as one
> > file.
> > >
> > > I'd like to be able to create folders under my inbox, and have a
> filter
> > set
> > > so that certain messages went to certain folders (i.e.; messages from
> > > balsa-list@gnome.org go into a folder labeled Balsa List or some
> such).
> > >
> > Filters are scheduled for the next development cycle. Meanwhile you can
> > use
> > procmail (as someone else explained)
> Personally, I believe that the MTA should do the filtering, not the MUA,
> but I guess not everyone can switch to Exim like I did...

I'm using procmail too, and I find it the best way to filter incoming mails
(fetched by fetchmail) into my local mialboxes. That way I have only one
kind of filters whatever MUA I use (though I'm using exclusively Balsa for
months now:).
But still there are other purposes to have filters in Balsa : the most
important I think is that you can filter all messages in a mailbox whenever
you want. For example you want to see all mail in your
balsa-mailing-list=huge-mailbox :) talking about IMAP, or to see all mails
you have exchanged with certain persons this last week...
You can do that only with filters in Balsa using regex, contained
strings...
We can do even a bit more like creating a "temporary mailbox" to contain
the result of the filtering (filled  with copies of the matching messages)
that you could browse, and delete it when you found what you were looking
for.
I'm sure there are other purposes we can achieve with filters.
Filters are definitely a 1.3 issue I think, but it's almost ready to be
tested (it works by me).
Bye
Manu