Re: URL handling broken?

Am 16.08.2001 21:22:32 schrieb(en) Jason A . Smith:
> I have an old dual PII and since I upgraded from RedHat 6.2 to
> RedHat 7.1, I have had these problems with threaded balsa.  I have
> not had much time to look into it further and have lately just been
> running the non-threaded balsa without these problems.  This problem
> happens on both plain text email with the URL highlighting and html
> email with the gtkhtml library.  Are they both using the same
> function to call the external web browser?

Afaik, the answer is yes. It's gnome_show_url() (coming from gnome-libs) which
in turn calls gnome_execute_shell() (also coming from gnome-libs). I must
admit that I did not dig into this code, and the documentation is really
sparse (see http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-url.html
and http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-exec.html#GNOME-EXECUTE-SHELL).

> Do these functions come from glib or gnome-libs and is it a known

The latter one, see above. It seems to be a wrapper for fork/exec coming from
glibc, and that should, of course work on smp machines.

> problem with threaded apps on smp systems?

No idea, but there were other reports about freezes of multithreaded balsa's
on smp systems. I don't have such a system, so unfortunately I can't check
that.

Cheers, Albrecht

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcormail.de