Re: Problems with Balsa

On 2001.08.19 18:59:14 +0200 Martin Olveyra wrote:
> From your words above, I suspect you think I have made changes at the balsa
> code.

no, i didnt mentioned this

> The only thing I made is to change some lines of the configure script and
> some Makefiles. The changes in the configure script were only so this
> script could detect the pspell and esmtp libraries, because, although I
> have both installed, the configure script doesn't detect them. The changes
> in some Makefiles were made to avoid compilation errors.

look inside 'config.log' and you know what failes this would help us
explaining the issues.

> Mi system is OK, because this is the only program that gives me problems. I
> have a powerfull machine, I can run a lot of programs at the same time.
> Balsa loads very quickly, but when I write a new message, each letter I
> type has an unacceptable delay, and the cpu loadmeter goes to the maximal.

yes, and i tell you why this is.

you use 'pixmap' theme and unfortunately your theme pixifies the
background of the 'textfield' now when typing one letter. it takes
ages for GTK to render this. this is no BALSA issue, this is the
issue of a bad written theme.

solution: remove theme, or choose an alternative theme that dont
colorize the textfield with a PIXMAP.

> Also, the redrawing of balsa windows when I move or resize them are very
> slow, and, I repeat, this only happens with Balsa.

same issue as above

> What is evolution?
> Dont offend please. I like Balsa very much, but I think a lot of work has
> to be done so anybody can compile and use it without troubble.

well you can try alternative things, like sylpheed, cronos ii or whatever
you can also try gedit and you will have the same 'slow' typing issue. its
problem on your side. well balsa compiles good here. please sent us your
config.log when you configure or autogen.sh balsa the next time this tells
us more.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de