[RFC] send mails and identity

Here is just a try to write a summary of the previous thread called
'implementing multiple smtp servers...'.

The thread begin by a patch proposed by Riccardo Persichetti to allow
multiple smtp server with a question : Where to load/save smtp server.

I've a little forked with my concerns about IDs but the both subjects are
related.

My conclusions are :

Defaults settings are not default user settings.
But I believe that all ID settings should have a default value.
And then I'm convinced that we should use a identity structure to save this
default settings. This settings would not be displayed by the ID dialog box
but in the preferences dialog box. (This answer to the original question of
Riccardo).

We need to add a "Multi-Identity support" checkbox in the preferences DBox.
This box should be unchecked in 1.2 and this feature considered incomplete
in 1.2.
The main reason to disable it by default in 1.2 is that the duplicated
mails in this mailing list are caused by this feature. This is an
indication that we need to work it a little more.

Evidently when unchecked, all GUI references to ID should be hidden. This
is why default settings need to be in the preferences DBox.

To get a full-featured multi-ID support, We need to add a dialog box to set
custom rules to guess dynamically ID to use.
In case of ambiguity, user will be asked.
Setting the default SMTP server empty will (optionnaly) ensure that a ID
has been choosen with the rules.

Rules could be based on mailbox (in case of reply) and/or header fields.
Rules will be used during compose window creation and rechecked when
headers field are modified.

Christophe

--
Christophe Barbé <christophe.barbe@online.fr>