Re: address book

On 2001.08.14 10:18 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2001-08-14 09:48 urgrue wrote:
> > does 1.2 support any addressbooks besides gnomecard yet?
> > i would love support for a simple text-based aliases.text or
> > something, wouldnt this be pretty simple to implement, even if it
> > means editing the file by hand?
>
> I commited yesterday LDIF address book support patch that has been
> hanging around in bugzilla for a while. Strictly, we are now in a freeze
> for balsa-1.2 and I should not have done it but the patch itself was
> rather localized and LDIF is a format that supports  both single persons
> and distribution lists in a flexible way and allows for interperability
> with Netscape (Netscape/Mozilla can export and import LDIF address
> books) and LDAP providing significant added value.
>
> /Pawel
A couple of problems:
1. Nested lists don't seem to be supported.
2. Auto completion returns first member only for lists.
3. There are UTF-8 issues here, too, although for Netscape, you can get
around them by specifying ".4ld" as file extension when exiting - data will
then be written in 8-bit format (but the actual file will still have
extension ".ldif", oddly enough.)

In addition to this, it should also be possible to synchronise LDIF data
into GnomeCard - but perhaps there is some kind of roundabout way of
achieving this. Or perhaps there should be some kind of editing facility in
addition to "Store Address" (it was a pleasant surprise that this actually
worked, though.)

And now for the positive feedback:
Thanks a lot for including this update. It makes a whole lot of difference
to me! This might actually be the last bit I needed to be able to throw
away Netscape Messenger once and for all.

--
- Toralf